I hope you can appreciate them.
Friends and family,
This is not meant to elicit your sympathy.
What I am about to embark upon is something that, in my mind, I have been preparing for for three years. It's not the whole reason I joined the Army, but it IS one of the reasons. If all goes well in my career, this will only be the first of several deployments for me. But it will probably be the only one to Iraq.
The whole point of me going on this deployment is to serve my country. My country has asked me to go and do a job. It is nothing more and nothing less. It's not to seek fortune and glory or, more importantly, your sympathy. Erin and I will appreciate your prayers, but will not accept your sympathy. This is something that we accepted when I joined the Army. We both knew this day would come and, while we are sad about being apart, I am proud to be serving.
In closing, I want to add one comment. If you must feel sorry for someone, please feel sorry for the people of Iraq. They are living in an occupied land. Even though we believe their country is much better off now than it was, I certainly wouldn't want to see troops every time I wanted to go to the market. Does that mean that I disagree with having troops in Iraq? Absolutely NOT! I have always supported our presence there and I always will, as long as it is necessary. If staying in Iraq means no terrorists here, then I am all for it.
Thank you in advance for your prayers and support for me and my family during this time. We appreciate all of you."
James E. Milner 1LT

2 comments:
Jamey said it well Erin!
He will be in our prayers; he already has been as have you and the kids. We will also be praying for the guys and their families who will be going with him. We are so proud of them all.
Bud and Debbie
I have always been proud of you Erin. But never more proud than now. You and your family will be in our prayers. Is it okay with you if I post Jamey's letter on my fb page? If you would rather I not do that it is fine. Love you!
Post a Comment