First, we had Harper's follow up appointment yesterday. The more time has gone by, the more angry I've gotten at the doctor we saw last week. There are MANY signs that a baby is getting enough to eat. Harper is meeting ALL of them. This doctor was confusing her low weight with inadequate weight gain without comparing her weight to previous weights. She's tracking on the SAME curve she's been on since she was born according to the WHO chart for breastfed babies.
So, today I went prepared. I took a copy of something I got from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the WHO chart.
Thankfully, I didn't need either. We saw a different doctor today who told me exactly what I'd been thinking. One weight isn't important. It's the overall pattern they look for. And while Harper's "pattern" is to stay around the 5th percentile, she's still following a pattern. The doctor today said that she's pleased with Harper's weight gain and that I should be encouraged. She also appreciated that I was proactive with my growth chart and said that I should keep it up!
So, Harper's fine. She's just little.
Jamey took Colin to see Despereaux (sp?) today. They had a really fun time. On the way home, they stopped at Blockbuster to pick up a movie. Colin came in the house and announced that they'd gotten "a mommy movie!" It took me a little while to figure out that it was the latest Mummy movie. I should have known, though. He always calls them mommies!
Harvey's First Birthday Party
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment