A girl on my military wives board was talking about a man in her husband's unit (a friend of theirs) who died overseas. It is heartbreaking when the reality of things hits so close to home.
Then, she wrote about a "church" called Westboro Baptist Church from Kansas who will be PROTESTING this man's funeral!! They put out a press release for the funeral that has this statement in big, bold letters:
God hates America, and God is killing our troops in His wrath. Thank God for IEDs.
I am SO sick about this. The wives who responded to this girl were just SO angry and were associating these people with Christians. This is NOT Christ-like!!
Thankfully, there is another organization called the Patriot Guard who will ALSO be at this soldier's funeral. They will form a big chain around the funeral and not let Westboro get too close to the family and friends of this hero.
Jamey's unit is mechanized so he'll be travelling through Iraq in hummers and other vehicles like that. IEDs are such a big reality for us.
In fact, at NTC right now, his platoon is getting to play with a new toy. He sent me pictures of this last night. It's a remote controlled car with a camera on a tall post that allows them to look inside objects to check for IEDs. Here are a couple of pictures:


My heart is just sickened that people out there proclaiming to be Christians are hurting the cause of Christ in a group that I'm now part of. We weren't sure why God sent us here instead of to a church, but maybe this is one reason. I'm praying that I can be used to correct this mistaken notion of who God is. Please pray that Christians throughout the military are able to present positive testimonies that can undo the negative impact that this "church" has had.

2 comments:
Oh I totally agree! I hate that they give Christians a bad rep! And make the military feel unsupported, and hated back home. B/c that is the furthest thing from a complete truth! I am grateful there are people around like the Patriot Guard!
That group is not a church just because it wants to call itself one!
Thank goodness groups like the other one exist!
Now, about this toy...that is so cool! It seems simple enough, but high tech! I don't know how long it's been out, but I bet it has already saved lots of lives!
Post a Comment