Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A "Sirius" Problem

My husband did something wonderful for me before he left. He ordered me a Sirius satellite radio! He knew I liked his, so he got one for me. We recently had to replace his antenna, and we figured if we could do that easily enough, I should be able to install the radio.

Not quite.

There is WAY more to this installation than just the satellite antenna! Since I don't know how to go INTO the car dash to connect the radio to a power source, that means it must always be plugged into my car's cigarette lighter. This means that there is a cord that must go from my radio to the lighter in my dash. Not to mention, that lighter would always be occupied, so I wouldn't be able to charge my phone or ipod unless I turn off my Sirius the whole time it's charging.

Then, there's the aesthetics. Since I'm not a professional, I can't exactly mount the radio to my car the way it's drilled and mounted in Jamey's. This leaves me two options. First, I can choose the car vent option. This means the radio sticks in the car vent and one cord goes from the radio in my car vent down to the cigarette lighter while another cord goes from the radio in my car vent outside my car to the satellite antenna. The other option I have is the windshield mount via suction cup. Again, I'd have one cord going to my cigarette lighter and another one going to the outside antenna.

Then, on top of all that, since I can't do the physical connection to my car's radio the way it's connected in Jamey's car, I'd have to do the FM antenna. This is like the little FM transmitters that people use for their ipods. Another cord would connect my Sirius radio to an FM antenna. The signals from my radio would then be sent via FM to a station on my car radio.

The installation here just seems too tricky for me. Plus, I'm not a fan of all these cords going everywhere in my car! I think I'm just going to have to get it professionally installed. Maybe I'll ask for the installation for my birthday. Or, maybe I'll just go ahead and do it and SAY it's for my birthday, since Jamey won't actually BE here on my birthday (yep, he's missing my big twenty-ten).

I'm SUPER happy that he thought about ordering this for me before he left. It was SO sweet! And I was really excited when I got it in the mail today.

But, it's just not going to happen like we thought. Bummer.

On the bright side, Colin had his first experience with bubble wrap! Pure joys!

1 comment:

Debbie (and Bud) said...

Ahh, the joys of bubble wrap.

Serious, this sirius radio is the way to go, I think, for future broadcasters. I'm glad you (sort of) have one. That was very sweet of your sweetheart...

I'm getting Dad a Magellan for Christmas...it's a secret. Don't tell him :)

I Would Die For That -- Kellie Coffey

If You're Reading This -- Tim McGraw

Jane Austen Quiz


Followers